How to Get a Work Visa in Canada - A Guide for Foreigners - POEMNICHE
CanadaImmigrationJobs & Careers

How to Get a Work Visa in Canada – A Guide for Foreigners



If you are an overseas worker seeking employment in Canada, obtaining a work visa is necessary. This guide will assist you in securing this important document.

Before anything else, you need a job offer from a Canadian employer. The position must be an expert-level occupation that cannot be filled by Canadians.

Getting a Job Offer

Canada is a popular choice for foreigners looking to settle and work in an inclusive multicultural atmosphere. The country’s rapidly developing economy offers ample job prospects for international workers.

While there are various visa and work permit options available to foreigners in Canada, securing a job offer from an employer is typically the first thing an immigration officer will look into when considering applying for permanent residence (PR). When looking into applying for PR in Canada, having proof of employment from a Canadian employer will typically be the primary factor that the immigration officer evaluates.

Make sure your resume is updated to reflect any changes in employment history and include all pertinent qualifications and accomplishments. Furthermore, tweak your cover letter as well to showcase why you would be an ideal fit for both the position and the company.

It is wise to ask former employers in your home country for a reference. Doing so will help gain the trust of Canadian employers and increase your chances of being hired.

Another route to finding a job offer in Canada is through the Express Entry Job Pool, which connects candidates with skills in specific industries to companies looking for employees. However, this option is only accessible to those candidates with at least 450 points on their Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score.

Getting an LMIA

Employers in Canada who wish to hire a foreign worker must first obtain an approval from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). This will grant you permission to employ a temporary foreign worker without having to post the position on the Canadian Job Bank.


Legal Migrant Worker Agreements (LMIAs) are required when an employer plans to hire a non-Canadian citizen or permanent resident for a position that requires a work permit. ESDC will grant you an LMIA if they determine there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents available to fill the position and that hiring a foreign worker won’t negatively affect Canada’s labour market.

The process of obtaining an LMIA can be tedious and time-consuming. To make things easier, consult with a certified immigration consultant who can guide you through the entire process in securing a positive LMIA for your business or project.

Typically, an LMIA takes anywhere from a few weeks to several months to process. Unfortunately, there is no publicly-stated processing standard or target and there are no online estimates for LMIA processing times.

Getting a Work Permit

If you are a foreign national and wish to work in Canada, a work permit is necessary. With this document, it allows for employment and receiving salary from an employer in Canada.

Applying for a work permit in Canada is an extensive and detailed process that must be processed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The exact steps depend on the type of permit you require.

Typically, the application process takes anywhere from one to nine months. During this period, you must submit all required documents and respond to any additional requests for information that may arise.

Additionally, you should prepare for a medical examination and interview with Canadian consular officials. During these interviews, the officers will try to ascertain if you qualify for a work visa in Canada and whether or not you would return home after working there.

Generally, foreign nationals who wish to live and work in Canada for a limited period of time can apply for a work permit.


Leave a Reply